Church of the Brethren News
"With your faithful help rescue me from sinking in the mire; let me be delivered from my enemies and from the deep waters. Do not let the flood sweep over me, or the deep swallow me up, or the Pit close its mouth over me" (Psalm 69:13-15)
1) Situation in Nigeria is 'awful,' EYN continues effort to aid Chibok parents and refugees
2) Rebecca Dali to visit and speak at several places in the US in July
3) CWS international situation report: Nigeria displacement crisis
4) NYC theme song is released, available online
5) Observance of 150th anniversary of John Kline's death
6) Tour canceled for National Youth Orchestra of Iraq
ANNUAL CONFERENCE UPDATE
7) International guests to be welcomed at the 2014 Annual Conference
8) Congregations are invited to bring cards for Nigeria to Annual Conference
9) James Risser to serve as director of Brethren Disaster Ministries
10) Brethren bits: Youth Peace Travel Team blogs, On Earth Peace personnel and interns, bear sighting at Pine Crest, "Tears and Ashes" bus tour, peace retreat at Camp Bethel, Korean churches advance peace, Heeding God's Call needs volunteers, more
Find the full text of this Newsline in one document at
2nd Saturday Evening Worship
"Come as you are"
Contemporary - Informal - Welcoming
Refreshments available before, during and after the 6:30 worship.service.
Sat, July12, 6:30 p.m. at our church w/ youth band Stones of the Rock & Keith Eldred coordinating worship
Sat, August 9 - at Camp Blue Diamond!
4:00-6:00 pm - Swimming, boating, volleyball, and more
6:15 pm - Supper (all provided)
7:00 pm - Vespers (worship) by the lake
Message from Mid PA District’s Brethren Disaster Ministries: We are in need of new people to become involved with our Brethren Disaster Ministries meetings. We meet the second Monday of every month at the 28th Street Church of the Brethren in Altoona at 7 pm. We would like to have more churches become involved in our meetings. There are 55 churches within our district. We hope you will come participate with us. Remember, it's not just about raising money for our project trips out of town. We are doing more and more local projects all the time. If there is anyone willing to come join us, please contact Juls Bratton, Brethren Disaster Ministries Secretary, at 814.932.4040 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Rescue Workers’ truck will be in the church parking lot on Saturday, July 12 (2nd Sat, due to holiday) and August 9 (1st Sat) from 10:00-2:00 p.m. This is a great way to donate clothing items and non-perishable foods. (No household furnishings.) This ministry continues on the first Saturday of each month.
To help: Contact Keith Eldred or the church office.
on Wed, July 9, 6:30-7:15 p.m.
A time for any and all people interested in quiet, contemplative prayer to gather. Pastor Marlys will lead the group with a focus on quiet reflective prayer, centered on the being and work of Jesus Christ and our congregation.
"And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you to determine what is best" (Philippians 1:9-10a).
The Youth are having a car wash Saturday, July 12 from 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Proceeds will help pay for the Gaga ball pit materials.
Drive-Thru Ox Roast and Gob sale is back! Come on out from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Thursday, July 17 to get an ox-roast sandwich, chips, drink and gob for $6.00. Gobs may be purchased separately.
The Youth are selling patriotic wreaths for $15 each. They would look great on your door or your neighbor's door for 4th of July or Labor Day! They are handmade by our very own youth members! All proceeds will go to pay for the gaga ball pit coming to our parking lot in the near future! We have many more to make, so place your order with Rita Murphy today. Thanks for your support